Back in 2003 at my own wedding, I had my bridesmaids wear different hues of blue for our “hues of the night sky” color motif. At the time, having a bridal party that didn’t match was considered, um, quite subversive but luckily hubby and I got away with it. Nowadays I’m glad to see that mismatched bridal parties have pretty much become the norm.
Non-matchy-matchy dresses make for a fun look for the bridal party and the best thing about it is that it takes very little effort to pull off beautifully! If you’re planning to go this route for your wedding, here are two ways to go about it.
1. Have the bridal party dress in solid colors that match your motif, as in Kelly & Gary’s Rainbow-Hued Ice Cream-Flavored Retro Pop Wedding
(photo by Lovestruck Wedding Photography)
This is the easiest way to do it because solid colors will easily go together. To unify the look, you can ask the girls to wear a sash — or in Kelly & Gary’s case above, shoes — in the same color or pattern.
2. Suit your bridal party in dresses with a similar cut, color family, or pattern, as in Tess & Jon’s Relaxed Backyard-style Wedding at Black Creek Pioneer Village
(photo by Tom and Keidi Photography)
This is a little bit more difficult to execute since it’s easy to get carried away by patterns and dress styles! The rule of thumb is that there has to be a unifying element for all so that they’ll still look like they’re your bridesmaids (and not wedding guests). In the above case, their unifying element is the cut of the dress. Other unifying elements could be same belts, shoes, or hair accessories for all of them.
If you’re thinking of creating this look for your girls, an easy and fun way to play around with colors and patterns is via Polyvore’s editing tool. I took the liberty of picking clothes from one of my favorite online boutiques ModCloth so you can drag & drop clothes and create combinations as you please!
Get your own Mini Editor from Polyvore
How awesome is that tool? Just pick from the row of clothes at the bottom, drag them onto the workspace and hit “publish”. Easy peasy! Here’s a set I made of a spring-themed bridal party look:
What do you think? Do they go together? I used the yellow multicolor dress in the middle (Bettie Page Something Tells Me Dress) as the focal point and picked out dresses & shoes with colors that appear in it (green, blue, red, and orange). The dress and pair of shoes I chose for the bride are also printed with colors that appear in the bridal party dresses. As you can see, I chose dresses in a similar cut for a semblance of uniformity. This way, the shoes didn’t have to all match one another.
Are you ready to make your own intentionally mismatched bridal party set too? I’d love to see what you put together! Do tell me in the comments section below how you made the elements come together as a unified set. Also, make sure to hit “publish” so that they get saved into the gallery. Have fun mixing and matching!
To shop all the looks and outfits, visit ModCloth.
You all know by now that I’m on the soapbox for hiring excellent professional wedding photographers to capture your day. I’m also all for unplugged ceremonies – you know, to avoid photos like these from happening — but for the rest of the party, why stop friends and family from whipping out their phones to catch all the fun, action, and guest experience that can otherwise be missed? For my own wedding, I loved that our guests were able to capture moments from all possible vantage points as only they could have. I had to find all the photos manually by sifting through Twitter hashtags & me and my husband’s newsfeeds though…
If only there was a way to collect all those precious photos easily, right? Well guess what, there is NOW. I’d like to introduce you to a nifty app called Snapable which makes it possible to instantly collect photos taken by your guests!
It’s soooo easy to set up too. Here’s how it works:
1. Create an online album through Snapable.com. Poptastic Bride readers get $30 off the regular $79 price by entering the code POPTASTIC (yay!)
2. Have your guests download the FREE app during the wedding (available for both iPhone and Android).
3. Each photo taken at the wedding will then be instantly added to your Snapable album where you can see all photos taken by your guests at a glance!
Check out the sample album below:
On your wedding day, it will be impossible for you and your spouse to be in all places at once but through this tool, you can have a glimpse of all the action as they happen. Yes, that means even before the honeymoon, you can see what your wedding looked like through your guests’ eyes!
More reasons to use Snapable — each package includes:
* A FREE iPhone and Android app for each guest
* Personalized information cards for guests
* Unlimited number of guests
* Unlimited photo upload and storage
* Ability to download full resolution images anytime
* Ability to upload additional photos before and after your wedding
* Unlimited guest email notifications
This is what Snapable looks like on an iPhone:
But what if some of your guests don’t have smartphones… or are, ermm, lazy? Well they can post to your Snapable album anytime they please. Just provide the link and PIN and they’ll be able to add their photos.
Snapable will also provide personalized instruction cards that you can download and print for the wedding explaining how to use the app. You’ll also be able to invite guests to download the app as soon as you set up your account, which means guests can start uploading any wedding-related photos from pre-wedding activities such as your bridal shower and wedding rehearsal! Suuuuch a cool tool, huh?
A few more bonuses for using Snapable:
1. You no longer need to spend hours sifting through Facebook pages to find photos.
2. All your pics will be easy to find, and later, shared to your favorite social media channels.
3. There are options to share a single photo, the entire album, or keep your photos private.
$49 (with the Poptastic Bride discount) for all these features + the free apps for all the guests + the convenience of having your guests’ photos all in one place is such a sweet deal! No need to chase down everyone for their phone pics anymore! If I were still planning my wedding, I would totally use this app in a heartbeat… wouldn’t you too?
So don’t miss a single moment at your wedding – sign up for Snapable now and remember to use the code POPTASTIC to get a savings of $30 off the $79 Snapable package price!
* Special thanks to Snapable for the generous discount for Poptastic Bride readers!
Ooooh I have exciting news today because guess what, we have our first giveaway for the year courtesy of Firmoo, the leading global online optical store. On the off chance that it’s your first time to hear of them, the company is quickly carving a niche for themselves by offering a wide variety of prescription and fashion eyewear at very affordable prices!
THE PRIZE: Six (6) lucky readers can win $30 vouchers each to spend on the F-Designer collection! These are just some of the pieces that the voucher winners can choose from:
Classic, clunky, funky, hipstery, nerdy, geeky, fashion-forward – call them what you want. Clearly there are glasses in their vast collection to suit every personality! Which one is your favorite?
The Firmoo designer glasses are $68 / pair but with the $30 gift certificates, you’ll only need to pay an additional $38 + shipping. Sound good to you?
But wait, that’s not all!
FREE BONUS PAIR: If more than 30 of you participate, the winner with the most entries in the voucher giveaway also gets a pair of geek chic glasses of your choice from the fashion collection! How awesome is that?
Hipster / nerd glasses are still in vogue so don’t miss this chance to snag a cool bonus pair for yourself — add entries as many times as you want every day! International shipping* is included!
* just make sure that you live in the areas Firmoo delivers to: US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Finland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Greece, Italy, England, UAE, Bengal, Argentina, Pakistan, Brazil, Russia, Peru, Mexico, Ukraine and Israel, Oman, Kuwait, Egypt, Qatar, Bahrain, Latvia, Romania, South Africa.
How to enter (please accomplish the tasks using the Rafflecopter widget below)
1. Leave a comment on this blog post with the link to the pair of Firmoo glasses you want to win. (mandatory)
2. Earn additional entries each day for tweeting about the giveaway with a link to this page.
3. Earn easy additional entries by liking /FirmooGlasses and /PoptasticBride on Facebook and following @firmoo and @poptasticbride on Twitter.
4. Like this giveaway? Spread it around like butter to increase your chances of winning the free bonus pair!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This contest ends on February 21st, 2013. Six (6) winners will be generated by the Rafflecopter widget and I will personally send the $30 vouchers via e-mail to each one. If there are 30+ participants, the winner with the most entries will win a bonus pair of fashion eyewear courtesy of Firmoo.
With love day just around the corner, I thought it was time for another funky Valentine’s Day-themed wedding roundup! Whether you’re planning a February 14 wedding or you’re just looking to incorporate hearts and sweet, sweet graphics in your celebration, the following resources should come in handy!
Cup Wrapper Printables via Eat Drink Chic
* Also: 20 Free Valentine’s Day printables on Modge Podge Rocks
Tissue Paper Fringe Heart via Apartment Therapy
* Decor Idea: Take inspiration from the entire setup in the above photo for your wedding reception decor!
* Also: 20 Projects for a DIY Valentine’s Day on Apartment Therapy
Vintage Beatles-inspired Valentine’s Party Printables via Graphics Fairy Crafts
* Also: Free Public Domain Vintage Valentine’s Day Graphics for your Crafts on the Graphics Fairy
3D Valentine Card via The Creative Place
* Alternative wedding guestbook idea: Make a poster with 3D hearts and have your guests sign them?
Valentine’s Day Heart Arrow Printables via Sweet Muffin Suite
* Wedding favor idea for children guests: Give the kids pencils and drawing pads to occupy them for the duration of your reception.
DIY Heart-Print Tights How-To via The Pineneedle Collective
* Bridal Party Fashion Idea: Have your bridesmaid wear DIY heart-print colored tights + make heart-print neckties for your groomsmen using the same technique
Valentine Heart Cookie Sandwiches via Make and Takes
* Also: 101 Valentine’s Day Treat Ideas on Dollar Store Crafts
And finally, we have some Printable Love-themed Photo Booth Props via (ahem) Poptastic Bride
* Also check out: Funky Red Wedding Inspiration (last year’s Valentine’s Day roundup)
* Even more resources: 140 Fabulous and Free Valentine Printables by the Dating Divas
Yes, all of these are totally free! If you happen to know of other DIY Valentine’s Day wedding goodies and ideas, do let me know in the comments below!
Welcome to another Behind the Lens post where I interview a talented wedding photographer whom I’ve had the pleasure of collaborating with. Every photographer has their own distinct style so the purpose of this series is to help you choose a photographer whose style best represents you. Thus I want you to meet them not as “vendors” but as potential friends who just so happen to have the skills to creatively chronicle your special day in pictures.
Meet Photographer Chelsea LaVere of Bit of Ivory Photography
I first saw Chelsea’s work when she sent me Ashley & Ryan’s Ice Skating and Home Living (with a Cat) Lifestyle E-session early last year which I instantly fell in love with. I adored her non-obtrusive photographic style — not to mention the dreamy, nostalgic quality of her pretty, well-composed images — and have been a fan ever since! Luckily I was able to publish more shoots and weddings by her over the following months.
This lovely lady is bursting with creativity because in her spare time, she would actually organize themed styled shoots! (Er, I play with my cat in my spare time lol). She leads a vendor community called Orchestrated Stylized Shoots where members collaborate to execute unique themes for weddings. Some of the topics they’ve done include a Jane Austen-themed celebration, a “Mediterranean Mosaic”, and Venetian Masquerade. Better check out their site and the Orchestrated Stylized Shoots Pinterest page – it’s a wellspring of themed wedding inspiration!
Quality of work aside, another thing I love about Chelsea is that she treats all her couples like family. She fondly calls them her “Photo Fam” and has even dedicated an exclusive Facebook group for them. The love and thought she gives to every single one of her shoots is pretty obvious too. As you will notice below, each couple’s personality shines through in the images…why yes, even in the still life ones!
Without further ado, I’m honored to introduce you to talented photographer (and my fellow cat mom) Chelsea!
* All photos on this page are copyright Bit of Ivory Photography (except where indicated) *
Hello Chelsea! Please tell us more about yourself and your wedding photography business.
Before becoming a full-time wedding photographer, I was an art teacher… which I absolutely loved doing. But then business got whoa-busy, and I was blessed with being able to go full-time into another job I absolutely loved. I started my photography business in June 2009 and haven’t looked back since. It’s been an incredible journey thus far, and I can’t wait to see what the years ahead bring!
I’m based in Chesapeake, Virginia [see the office], but I love to travel beyond this corner of the world!
I’m obsessed with black and white photography and a ton of my images are dominated by it. Thank goodness my brides and grooms share an equal affinity for it, too!
The quirkiest wedding you’ve photographed?
Probably Ashley and Ryan’s wedding that you featured in 2012. The way I see “quirky” is unconventional and exceptionally unique. That was them. Their wedding was 100% their personalities, and it still is one of my favorite wedding memories to date.
A wedding photography fad you will never follow?
Selective color. It’s either all black and white or full color for me! I feel like Ansel Adams would be shaking his finger at a pseudo-black-and-white!
Can you tell us what your wedding was like?
My wedding was the epitome of my heart. It was December 27th in one of the most beautiful historical areas Virginia has to offer: Colonial Williamsburg. Pinecones, cloaks, and navy blue pretty much dominated the theme. We definitely had a horse-drawn carriage. It was a must!
Didn’t they have such a cool wedding?! On a side note, we actually share the same wedding anniversary, December 27. Awesomeness.
* Chelsea’s wedding photos above were photographed by Fareine Benz
Barring budget, logic or reality, what would your dream wedding be like?
Ohhh, let’s talk about my dream vow renewal because it’s totally going to happen. Haha! My dream vow renewal would be to go to England in a rolling countryside, saturated with details of Jane Austen love, my husband in a dashing morning suit… ohhh yes. A horse and carriage will be involved (just like on our wedding day!). And somewhere our cat Pickles Barrington will make an appearance. I haven’t quite figured out those logistics yet…
Please name at least 5 songs off your dream wedding / reception playlist!
Eep! Confession: I’m not a huge music person. It’s that whole dang visual thing. But I do have a fond affection for Michael Jackson, Heart, and Celine Dion. (It really doesn’t make much sense, does it?) Wedding specific, those crazy group dances… particularly the Electric Slide. I can boogie that one out!
A book, movie or tv show you’d love to base a styled shoot on?
Which one do I not want to is my dilemma! Through Orchestrated Stylized Shoots, I get my theme fix. Anything from British Literature or Disney/Pixar would be something I would absolutely want to do a shoot on!
Which celebrity or fictional couple’s wedding do you think would be a blast to photograph if you could?
Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy, of course!
If you weren’t a photographer now, what would you be?
Since I was an art teacher prior to becoming a photographer, this kind of is my “second career” so to speak. BUT if I could finagle a way, I’d hop around the world, capturing culture, people, and celebration. And somehow get paid for it. Darn those student loans!
I hope you all enjoyed meeting the pretty and charming Chelsea! The sweet & dreamy images on this page are just a taste of what she can offer!
If you want more info on this talented photographer, please visit the following pages:
* See all our previously featured weddings & shoots by Bit of Ivory Photography
* Meet other featured photographers in our Behind the Lens interview series
* While you’re at it, do check out the site map to browse our real wedding/engagement/styled shoot features by photographer and by location.